One of the fastest growing job groups in San Diego is “Biochemists and Biophysicists” with an estimated 32.4 percent
growth over 10 years (Source: California EDD; Photo credit: John Guenther)
This piece originally appeared on the California Economic Summit blog.
Here’s a staggering number for you—more than 1.9 million people are still out of work in the state of California.
A recent report released by UCLA economists predict the California economy will lag another 3 years. For those out of a job, it’s not the kind of news you want to hear.
But there is light at the end of the tunnel if you live in San Diego. The region has seen significant gains in the technology industry. So much so it ranked third in the nation for tech jobs, according to Forbes magazine.
So, it’s no surprise, computer software engineers and applications were the most advertised jobs in the region. In fact, a survey just released by the state Economic Development Department said there were nearly 1,500 openings for the month of May.
According to the survey, there were 45,000 jobs listed and 49,000 people looking for work.
Unemployment is significantly lower in San Diego, 8.8 percent, than the state’s 10.8 percent. The county’s unemployment is the lowest it’s been in three years.
The biggest employer with the most openings? It should come as no surprise. It’s a big name in the region: Qualcomm with 774 jobs.
If you’re on the hunt for a job, grab a pen and paper and jot these down.
- Qualcomm: 774 jobs. Jobs include law, programming, IT and engineering.
- Staples: 438 jobs at 4 San Diego locations.
- UC San Diego: 369 jobs. Positions include accounting, development, and human resources.
- AppleOne: 357 jobs. A staffing agency with opportunities in fields such as sales, hardware and travel agent.
- Sharp Healthcare: 354 jobs. Openings in marketing, HR and research.
- General Atomics: 301 jobs in marketing, HR and accounting.
- AeroTek: 289 jobs. A staffing agency with a variety of jobs including medical, sales and call centers.
- KForce: 244 jobs. A staffing agency with opportunities in clinical, technology and health care.
Here’s your chance — San Diego has some Help Wanted signs out.