Vice President of Public Policy and Research
The Vice President of Public Policy and Research for California Forward (CA FWD) is a senior position that leads a team of professionals (staff and consultants) in representing the organization to its stakeholders and the public. The individual reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer. The successful candidate may be based anywhere in California with the ability to work remotely. This is an exempt position.
CA FWD is a multi-partisan cross-sector steward leadership group committed to ensuring the California Dream is accessible to everyone in all of the state’s regions. Our staff reflects the diversity of California’s population and works from a variety of locations throughout the state.
CA FWD team members are excited by the mission of the organization, and are thorough, articulate, responsive and knowledgeable. Individuals enjoy working as part of a group, and have excellent time-management and communication skills.
Specifically, the Vice President will:
- Develop a cohesive research and policy agenda that reflects the mission of CA FWD and promotes the organization as a vehicle for change in California. This includes but is not limited to:
- Conduct research and analysis on a variety of topics including housing, workforce development, energy sustainability, state and local financing policy, and other topics as assigned
- Lead the publication of CA FWD policy papers and briefs
- Supervise the continued development of the California Dream Index which measures 10 trackable indicators for economic mobility, security and inclusion. Data can be analyzed by race and ethnicity, region, and county, providing the ability to do “apples-to-apples” regional comparisons across the state.
- Engage experts and key stakeholders in developing and refining CA FWD’s policy agenda
- Collaborate with partners in the California Economic Summit to maintain alignment in policy goals
- Monitor the external policy and political environment and assess implications for CA FWD’s success
- Represent CA FWD in public presentations, and in meetings with experts, stakeholders and legislative staff.
- Manage a small team of employees and consultants that can execute the organization’s policy agenda
- Cultivate an environment of readiness and alertness that can capitalize on opportunities to advance the agenda
- Attend weekly staff and senior staff meetings and actively communicate with all employees and consultants to encourage a cohesion of effort with our distributed workforce
- Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years supervisory/management experience
- Ability to transform organization’s goals into focused and actionable public policy strategies and tactics
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communications skills
- Highly collaborative, with strong leadership skills, managing a variety of projects concurrently
- Ability to remain flexible and work independently
Open Until Filled
Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to email@example.com